Subject: Re: windows X server?
To: None <Netbsd-Users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/17/2003 20:46:21
In message <20030118003131.GB10143@snew.com>, Chuck Yerkes writes:
>Quoting Steve Bellovin (smb@research.att.com):
>> This is slightly off-topic, but related...  My daughter wants to use
>> various X applications on a NetBSD box.  Her machine is running Win98.
>> What are some choices for an X server?  Cygwin, the obvious answer, has
>> proved unstable.)
>>
>> 		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
>> 		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)
>
>Of all the people at all the companies from whom I might expect
>children running Unix...

Well, yes...

>VNC jumps to mind.  I sort of miss when Windows had
>no TCP and you had to buy (far better) TCP programs
>that came with good tools.
>
>Hummingbird makes a fine X Server for Windows, I'm told.
>Not cheap, but that's the penalty for using Windows.
>
>Otoh, you could upgrade her machine to a Unix and keep
>some box to run Windows and VNC the desktop Unix to
>get Windows apps when you absolutely need them.

Perhaps, though in my experience vnc servers on Windows do horrible
things to the system -- it's just too slow.

For now, when she's just learning Unix, she mostly uses Windows and
Windows apps; that's not the right solution.  But yes, if she were to
boot from the second drive on her machine, it would say login: after
the NetBSD banner.

>Quake over VNC sucks, but it's adequate to sit in whatever
>program you occasionally need but can't get on Unix.

She prefers strategy games.