Subject: Re: windows X server?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/17/2003 19:31:31
Quoting Steve Bellovin (smb@research.att.com):
> This is slightly off-topic, but related...  My daughter wants to use
> various X applications on a NetBSD box.  Her machine is running Win98.
> What are some choices for an X server?  Cygwin, the obvious answer, has
> proved unstable.)
>
> 		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
> 		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)

Of all the people at all the companies from whom I might expect
children running Unix...

VNC jumps to mind.  I sort of miss when Windows had
no TCP and you had to buy (far better) TCP programs
that came with good tools.

Hummingbird makes a fine X Server for Windows, I'm told.
Not cheap, but that's the penalty for using Windows.

Otoh, you could upgrade her machine to a Unix and keep
some box to run Windows and VNC the desktop Unix to
get Windows apps when you absolutely need them.

Quake over VNC sucks, but it's adequate to sit in whatever
program you occasionally need but can't get on Unix.