Subject: Re: Open Src Instant Messenger Server
To: Netbsd-Users (E-mail) <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/15/2003 00:22:21
Quoting Carleton, Sam (SCI TW) (Sam_Carleton_TW@stercomm.com):
> Currently I use Yahoo! Instant Messenger exclusively to communicate with my
> wife.  All the servers I control are UNIX (NetBSD and Solaris 8), but all
> the work stations are W2K or XP.
>
> I am looking for an open source instant messenger server/client which I use
> to replace Y! Instant Messenger.  Does anyone know of such a beast?

Zephyr is a lovely "IM" type client that I've used since the very
early 90's.  Speaks Kerberos (encrypts the comms), but I haven't
found a decent Windows Zephyr Client (or a Zephyr -> windows
messaging thingy translator).

I also use IRC on a home machine for chats with friends and
relatives.  Not open to all, but handy to have.