Subject: Re: Open Src Instant Messenger Server
To: None <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2003 20:30:38
In message <>, emre@u writes:
>> And anyone sniffing the traffic here at work!  That is one of the
>> reasons I want to get away from Yahoo! :)
>Licq can encrypt your messages with SSL, but both parties have to run
>Licq.  It doesn't run on Windoze as far as I know.

Gabber (which is in pkgsrc) will do SSL to the gabber server; it, in
turn, can proxy to other IM systems.  (I haven't checked if the pkgsrc
version of gabber does SSL; I built mine from scratch before it was in

Note, of course, that this means that you're trusting the server.

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)