Subject: netbooting from DP83815
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2003 23:27:54
i made several X terminals from PCI 486's, good GFX cards. for network i
bought some nice new DP83815 based fast ethernet adapters.
All works really cool (in both meaning of this word, 66Mhz 486/66 or
downclocked 486/100 to 75 require no cooler, just radiator).

But - i use floppy with kernel and boot just to start it. Kernel then
use DHCP and NFS but it's quite annoing anyway.

how should i do netbooting. is it better to order netboot ROMs for that
cards (i'm not sure about availability), use
netboot/etherboot generated ROM images or maybe another way?

please give me some advice, i have no knowlege in that. I found about many
ways of netbooting like PXE, NBI etc.. which is quite common to peecees,
and got no idea what should i use.

i'm using 1.5.4 kernel for terminals, but i found that in 1.6 ROM images
can be compiled. Does it support DP83815?