Subject: Re: USB modem / pcmcia modem
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2003 07:35:47
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > > Right now, buying almost any USB device beyond a keyboard or a mouse is
> > > just a big gamble. I'd say that close to half of the USB devices I've ever
>
> isn't that because only half of USB devices are fully compliant with
> standards, rest are winUSB devices

Well, for a lot of devices, there are no real standards. But that I can
live with; that's life. However, I have, for example, a USB IRDA dongle
that, when plugged into either of my machines (Toshiba laptop; Asus
desktop) causes NetBSD to disable that USB port, rather than coming up
as a generic device. Sure, it may be because the device really is a bit
out of spec. But Windows deals with this device and NetBSD doesn't, and
that indicates to me that, out-of-spec or not, we need some stuff fixed
in our USB code.

cjs