Subject: Re: not there yet Re: IA64?
To: None <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/12/2003 19:28:08
   On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 12:11:35PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:

   > Even the Itanic 2 isn't that great. I've heard that HP hasn't actually
   > sold any. Meanwhile, the Alpha EV7 is aout and it blows away Itanic 2.

   I can't fathom the decision making at HP, jumping on Itanic.

[snip]

   --
   UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com

A short time ago, a well educated HP salesdrone visited the place I work.
They were pushing their new IA-64 machines and how they were soo wonderful
over, for example, the Sparc family of machines.

Anyway... the reason we heard from him was, more or less, that they were
unable to make the PA-RISC much faster, a charge leveled against the
Sparc, also.  Therefore, they only thing to do was to create a new
processor and since only Intel could do that right now, as that sort of
thing is a very expensive thing to do.  He then proceeded to explain to us
how Sun was doomed because they didn't jump on the IA-64 train.

The Alpha was nevered mentioned, and since the HP guy hated Sun, nothing
good was ever said about the Sparc.  A short time after the HP visit, Sun
visited us and the future of the Sparc seems fine.

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org -- KC8VKS
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]