Subject: Re: not there yet Re: IA64?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/11/2003 14:13:17
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:04:55AM -0600, vodka@intoxicate.us wrote:

> OooH! They look so pretty! I wish they'd make TVs and refrigirators like
> that...
> I guess the nice case on the outside covers up the ugly intel thing in the
> inside :)

I would like to know how SGI managed to make them so fast, when everyone
else has so much trouble with the Itanium2 CPUs.

This machine looks impressive, but SGI is releasing a new MIPS system
that just eats it alive.

Clock for clock, I'd take a MIPS over anything from Intel, and now SGI
is releasing fairly high clock rates too.

I wish you could get motherboards with MIPS, Power4, and other CPUs that
were reliable and still not horribly expensive.  It would just be so
nice to run to a local computer show and pick up a dual CPU Power4
motherboard, or maybe a MIPS with a crossbar...

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com