Subject: Re: recording via soundcard - record.open
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030111T100547@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/11/2003 10:09:20
hampi@rootshell.be (Hanspeter Roth) writes:
> audiorecord -t 0:0:10 -s 44100 -v 255 test.wav
> Maybe the volume had been too low in my previous attempts.

You might also want to compile install xmmix and check that all the
sources you don't want to record are turned off and/or have the
volumes turned all the way down.

One fun program to compile and install is audacity.  It can generate
an amplitude vs. frequency plot of your recorded signal.  If you keep
the input source turned down while you take a 1-minute sample you can
see your noise levels.  (This is a very good test to weed out the junk
sound cards.)

Audacity (or any other 'scope program) also lets you trivially see how
close to clipping you are.  I normally try to set things up so that
the signal levels are no more than 60% of full scale (eg. +/- 20,000
out of +/- 32,000).

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
		 Cloning is in violation of the DMCA.

(NOTE: The email address above is valid.  Edit it at your own peril.)