Subject: Re: Problems installing
To: Ezequiel Reyes <ezequiel@newhotel.caribe.tur.cu>
From: Daniel Bolgheroni <dab__@uol.com.br>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/09/2003 03:55:02
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Ezequiel Reyes wrote:

> So I try custom and the program shows me a list of the disk
> labels, where "a" and "b" are "unused", "c" is the whole disk and "d" is the
> whole BSD particion (neither can't be touched) and "f" is again my BSD
> particion, I select it, set the mount point to / and try to go ahead but it
> fails telling me that wd0 could not be mounted, no other message, so I try
> using the unused label "a" instead, setting its type to NetBSD and its
> offset and size to the same of the BSD "f" label, it is, to the fisical
> particion, but it fails even so.

>As you see, my problem is that I don't
> understand as well as I thought the concept of disk labels (I read the whole
> NetBSD guide, though), it is a transparent concept in FreeBSD, that's why.
> My questions, why are "a" and "b" labels unused? do I have to make more than
> one fisical particion to install NetBSD? do I need to make at least a swap
> particion or can it be used has a file inside the BSD particion?

I think this is not a good idea.

You don't need to do more than one partition to install NetBSD. You only
need to do the right thing with disklabels.

Inside a partition, you will be able to manage with disklabels. As you
can see, you will be able to manage the disklabels only in "d" space. You
can make a / partition in "a" and a swap partition in "b". This is enough
to install NetBSD.

If you want, you can separate /var, /usr or another from /, by putting
these on "e", "f", and set the correct mount point.