Subject: Re: Traceroute difficulties
To: NetBSD-Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Fincham <matthewf@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/09/2003 10:19:55
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 09:32:53AM +0200, Matthew Fincham wrote:
> > I have a situation which I am sure has an explanation. I find I can ping
an
> > Internet address, but a traceroute to the same address fails. When I run
> > traceroute using ICMP instead of UDP packets, the traceroute is
successful.

> Sounds like the destination host is just filtering out UDP packets
> (for security reasons, perhaps).

I have a Windows system which is able to do the traceroute - but maybe it is
using ICMP??

What I am trying to solve is actually a bit more than just getting
traceroute to work. I am trying to use sendmail/mail to send mail to a mail
server. The mail's are not getting through though. A look at the mailq
indicates it is because there was no route to the host. And yet I can ping
the host. So I though if I can sovle the traceroute problem, I can solve the
mail problem. Another clue is that I can successfully send mail to my
"local" mail server.

Any ideas why the route to host cannot be found?

Thanks
Matt