Subject: Re: Flash, Shockwave, Konqueror, Galeon, ...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/08/2003 09:34:28
On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 06:59:20PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Has anyone used libflash with Konqueror under NetBSD?

I forgot to mention I was using moz-flash-1.0nb2 too.

> I've used libflash with mozilla and phoenix, and I am not satisfied. I
> wouldn't recommend using it for your son, since he'll be wanting
> something that he can expect to work on everything and allow him to play
> little flash games and all that sort of stuff.

I have noticed in the past (using netscape under Linux) that some flash
didn't work, because I needed Shockwave. I was beginning to think that
libflash wouldn't help either.

It would be nice if the sites would just use SVG (which I want to learn
more about) or DHTML or Javascript instead of relying on Flash or
Shockwave.

> It's nice (sorta) to have it, but most of its goodness comes from just
> not having to see windows telling you that you don't have a flash
> plugin. I've yet to see much flash content that I actually _wanted_ to
> see.

I don't really use Flash either, but my son plays games and draws pictures
using Flash on children sites.

> AFAIK, there is no way to use a non-native plugin with a native browser.
>
> > I used to use flash for my son with Navigator under Linux, but he's been
> > using NetBSD for several months and he is missing his pbskids.org :)
>
> Why not just use navigator for linux (or better yet, mozilla/phoenix)
> and make use of the good linux flash plugin?

I think I will give that a try. I have been planning to try Phoenix. I see
there is a native and Linux version -- so I will try the Linux version
(under NetBSD).

Thank you, Soren, for your comments.

   Jeremy C. Reed

   http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/