Subject: Re: not there yet Re: IA64?
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/08/2003 08:15:15

> > > Even the Itanic 2 isn't that great. I've heard that HP hasn't actually
> > > sold any. Meanwhile, the Alpha EV7 is out and it blows away Itanic 2.

possibly i did not measured right but alpha EV7 system in testdrive had
comparable memory throughput than intel pentium III with server boards
(measured with multimegabyte memcpy in loop, got about 300MB/s memory
copy speed), and 30-40% faster than PIII with same clock.

but the clocks on PIII are much higher.

so i'm doing something wrong or alpha isn't THAT fast.

(system WERE checked to be unloaded just before and just after tests)

> > too bad they stopped developement of the EV8
>
> Without commenting on the IA64 and all that: the best and surest way of
> becoming the king of the hill is to kill all competition. :-)

fortunately intel may be not able to manage this ;)