Subject: Re: Flash, Shockwave, Konqueror, Galeon, ...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Soren Jacobsen <devsoren@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/07/2003 22:08:34
On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 06:59:20PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Has anyone used libflash with Konqueror under NetBSD?

I don't know anything about Konqueror or KDE, but I've got some
experience with the open source flash stuff.

I've used libflash with mozilla and phoenix, and I am not satisfied. I
wouldn't recommend using it for your son, since he'll be wanting
something that he can expect to work on everything and allow him to play
little flash games and all that sort of stuff.

It's nice (sorta) to have it, but most of its goodness comes from just
not having to see windows telling you that you don't have a flash
plugin. I've yet to see much flash content that I actually _wanted_ to
see.

> Is anyone using official Macromedia or http://macromedia.mplug.org/
> provided Flash for Linux x86 under NetBSD using native NetBSD konqueror?

AFAIK, there is no way to use a non-native plugin with a native browser.

> I used to use flash for my son with Navigator under Linux, but he's been
> using NetBSD for several months and he is missing his pbskids.org :)

Why not just use navigator for linux (or better yet, mozilla/phoenix)
and make use of the good linux flash plugin?

--
Soren Jacobsen