Subject: Re: Network Card Problems
To: Ian McIntosh <ianm@cat.co.za>
From: Daniel Bolgheroni <dab__@uol.com.br>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/05/2003 10:32:28
On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Ian McIntosh wrote:

>     OUI 0x000000 model 0x0000 rev 0 at rtk0 phy 7 not configured
>
> What does this message mean and what could I do to try and fix my problem?

The answer for this question can be found in the "Kernel FAQ" at:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#device-not-configured

1. If this message appears during the autoconfiguration output of system
boot, it means that the kernel discovered a piece of hardware in your
system that it doesn't have a device driver for. This means that either
the device driver exists and has not been compiled into the kernel you
booted, or the device driver doesn't exist at all (in which case, it's
time to contact a friendly developer and offer him testing hardware in
exchange for writing a device driver).

   Since GENERIC kernels are used for basic installation, it is important
that they be stable and known to work; as such, device drivers that are
not yet stable are not compiled into GENERIC kernels by default.
Examination of a GENERIC kernel configuration file for your system may
reveal experimental device drivers for your device which are "commented
out." If you compile a kernel of your own (please don't call it GENERIC),
you can try experimental device drivers.

2. If this message appears when you try to access a device node in
/dev (e.g. a SCSI disk), this means that the driver can't find the
specific device unit you tried to access, e.g. accessing a SCSI disk that
isn't there.

   Often, this happens when the device nodes in /etc/fstab don't match
what the kernel found during autoconfiguration at boot time, and the
"mount" command in /etc/rc tries to mount all the filesystems. You should
double check that the devices you're trying to use were actually found by
the kernel at boot time, by examining /var/run/dmesg.boot (a saved copy of
the boot time autoconfiguration output).