Subject: gcc sig11 on Thinkpad...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/02/2003 11:28:05
I'm getting sig11s running gcc.  I know that that generally indicates
memory problems; what I'm at a loss to explain is how that can be
happening.

The machine in question is a Thinkpad T21.  I have two 256M SODIMMs.
Either alone works fine.  With both in, I get sig11s.

The obvious answer is a motherboard problem.  I thought that, too,
so I sent the machine back to IBM; they, in turn, replaced the
motherboard.  So I have a new motherboard, and two memory cards
that alone work just fine -- but together, they don't work.

What other problems could cause this?  Heat?  Would it generate
less heat if I tried doing the same thing (building the whole source
tree) while on battery, which would slow down the CPU?  A virtual
memory problem in the kernel?  The machine in question is running
a 1.6_STABLE kernel from six weeks ago.