Subject: Re: confused about netbsd versions
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Felix Zaslavskiy <felix@students.poly.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/01/2003 17:01:30
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 16:27:49 -0500
> "Felix Zaslavskiy" <felix@students.poly.edu> wrote:
> reply by  "Julio Merino" <jmmv@menta.net>
> > I am a bit confused and could someone help me get this cleared up.
>
> [ I think we should improve documentation in the website about this... ]
>
> > My goal is to have the most reacent pached up netbsd1.6 release at this
> > point and i also want to have sources for the libraries available so
that
> > they can be used for debuging purposes. I will be needing to rebuild the
> > kernel from the source to reconfigure it.
>
> A release is the same forever. It will not change. If you want to track
the
> stable version, then you need the 1.6 branch of sources, that can be
retrived
> with CVS using -rnetbsd-1-6. You will notice that the kernel says
1.6_STABLE
> when you rebuild it from these sources.
>
> > I will also need to be able to
> > upgrade to 1.7 with the least hastle.
>
> When 1.7 is out, you should be able to unpack new sets over your system
and
> update /etc accordingly.
>
> > Now my question is this.  The files in ftp.netbsd.org/pub/netbsd-1.6 are
> > they the same as /netbsd-release-1.6 ?
>
> Yes, NetBSD-X.Y.Z directories contain releases, not snapshots of current
> sources.
>
> >  Where can i download the latest 1.6
> > version of sources and binaries ?
>
> Sources: CVS, Sup... see the mirrors page on the website.
> Binaries: Try here: ftp://releng.netbsd.org/
>
> > The netbsd-current from what i understand is what is going to become 1.7
>
> Yes
>
> > My system is not in use just now and since i be putting in different
> > hardrive i think i will just install everything fresh.  What should i do
> > download the sources for current and build them or is it safe to use the
1.6
> > as it was released that i still have on CD ?
>
> And my question is: *why* do you want current? If you want a stable
machine,
> install the 1.6 release you have on CD and then update it to 1.6_STABLE.
> (Note that you can run a current pkgsrc on this installation ;)
>
> > how is cvs come into play here.  from what i understand it is only for
the
> > current branch.
>
> No. As said, all branches are in CVS.
>
> Hope this helps

This realy helps thanks a lot.
So my plan is to now then
1. install the 1.6 release
2. download 1.6 stable sources through cvs
3. rebuild from the source i downloaded.

But I just have one more question. If I rebuild from the latest sources and
then do 'make install' from the toplevel source directory that will replace
all the older 1.6 release  is that correct ?

I have one more question actualy.
I originaly thought to seprate base distribution /usr directory onto its own
partition
Pkg packages onto is partition and /usr/local onto its own partiction.
What should the size of the base /usr be since i wont be putting anything on
it other then the binaries and sources from the base ?