Subject: Re: x86-64 Re: IA64?
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/01/2003 16:30:01
On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 09:49:18PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >  > does it mean that NetBSD/x86-64 will be someday a complete system that
> >  > runs on real machine with full speed, not only in emulator with dmesg put
> >  > on Ports/x86_64 webpage (without any more)
> >
> > It is already known to run on real hardware.  I suspect it's mostly a
> > case of Frank not having gotten around to updating the web page.
> >
> VERY nice :)
>
> how about 32-bit PCI controllers on >=4GB memory?

Wasn't this part of the reason bus_dma and/or bus_space were created?
And don't 32-bit PCI controllers already run on Alphas with more than
4 gigs of memory (or address space)? I thought so.

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"