Subject: kdm error message "Cannot read from helpfile"
To: netbsd-users@netbsd.org <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/01/2003 14:11:04
Hello,

I am Thomas Ulrich Nockmann from Koeln in Germany.

Yesterday I'd installed NetBSD 1.6 on this host and it's good.

But I've got a problem while booting this system.
Kdm doesn't start korrekt and sends the message
"Cannot read from helpfile".

In /var/log/messages arn't further informations to be found.

I put kdm=YES into /etc/rc.conf and copied /etc/rc.d/xdm to
/etc/rc.d/kdm and adjust that new file to requirements for the
KDE 3.0.3 - I do hope so.

Starting the kdm manually works, but logging in as user in't
possible, only as root.

As user I'm able to start the kde using startx.

Is there anybody so kind as to help me ?
In the www I just found an japanese article.

Regards and a happy new year,

Thomas

--

Thomas Ulrich  Nockmann, Koeln, Germany