Subject: External CD-ROM drive not detecting...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jessica Blank <jb@twu.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/31/2002 12:05:43
OK, this is very weird. The generic MacPPC kernel detects my SCSI CD-ROM
drive, apparently whether or not it has anything in it, and whether or not
it is the boot device (I CAN boot off of it fine). However, my own
custom-compiled kernel does not...

I DID enable CD-ROM drives on scsibus?
I DID enable the esp (external SCSI) bus.
I DID enable "SCSI unknown" support.
I did NOT enable "SCSI autochanger" support-- I presume this is not
necessary for conventional, single-disc CD-ROM drives? Only changers?

Using the generic kernel is not an option; it does not detect the L2 cache
on my MAXpowr G3 upgrade. My kernel does.

When I use the GENERIC kernel, I get:

scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
cd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <YAMAHA, CRW4416S, 1.0f> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
cd0: sync (200.0ns offset 15), 8-bit (5.000MB/s) transfers

When I use my own kernel, I just get:

scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...

And that's all she wrote...
Can anyone help me with this? It's quite aggravating. :(

--
J e s s i c a    L e a h    B l a n k