Subject: Re: bluetooth
To: Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/25/2002 09:23:26
wrote:

>> Incidentally, does anybody know the status of
NetBSD/bluetooth?  I was
>> thinking about trying it, seems cute enough. Looking in
the /dev/bluetooth
>> directory though, I'm not sure its all there.. I'd have to
use a pcmcia
>> card myself, but if the command stack were available,
maybe I could work
>> out the device driver part.  clues?
>
>It does not work yet. I don't know who is working on it.
FreeBSD-current

maybe that person could speak up, or alternatively email
me if they want to remain incognito?

>has a bluetooth stack based on netgraph. I haven't used it
yet, but will
>give it a try soon. There were some suggestions to have
codebase shared
>among all bsds. I don't know the current state about that.

yes, I took a look at the FreeBSD pages, netgraph seemed
like a nice idea, (I dont really know enough to comment) but
of course we dont have it in NetBSD - is that likeley to be
ported?

>AFAIK, bluetooth does not standardize the pcmcia
interface, so every
>manufacturer has its own proprietary solution. USB
bluetooth dongles
>are more likely to work.

I have no usb ports alas (and no cardbus either, and I
dont see any pcmcia usb cards) - but I wrote a device driver
before once, could be interested to do it again.. I have a
phone now that talks bluetooth and I see pcmcia cards on
ebay going for a reasonable price (the motorola ones, this
week)

iain
http://webmail.rya-online.net