Subject: Re: Recommendation on laptops, notebooks or portables for NetBSD.
To: None <jdf@rse.com, port-i386@netbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gustaf D <gustafslistkonto@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/18/2002 02:38:51
>John Fisher <jdf@rse.com> wrote:
>
>Hi,
>
>I am looking to buy a new laptop or a notebook.  And was hoping that I
>could
>get some recommendations on some good ones that NetBSD supports most or all
>of
>the hardware on.

I'm using NetBSD 1.6 on an Asus M2E. P4M 1.8GHz, 384MB, 40GB,
DVD/CD-RW-combo, chipset SiS650, SiS650 onboard graphics and lan, 14,1" TFT
1024x768

PCMCIA works, USB works, XFree86 works using VESA-driver, touchpad works,
floppy works (both internally and externally). Don't remember for sure if
the IR works, but I think it acts as a serial port.

Integrated audio works with auich.c v1.20 from CVS. Integrated LAN works
after some cut-n-paste in if_sip.c (See "Re: SiS650 Deknote A928" of
2002-11-03 port-i386@netbsd.org)

APM does not work since ASUS decided they didn't need to support it anymore.
The ACPI-code that comes with 1.6 does not work. Some day I might start
digging into it... Firewire does not work.

Note: Max mem is 640 MB since one of the slots has a soldered 128 MB module.
No PS/2 connectors: mouse and external keyboard using USB-ports.

I really like this machine. It's fairly light (~2 kg without DVD/floppy),
has a reasonable battery life, more power than I need and it looks good...
Oh, and the price was right, too.

/Gustaf

Bli förälskad på MSN Dejting http://www.msn.se/dejting/default.asp