Subject: Re: XMMS and audio-cds?
To: Teemu Rinta-aho <teemu@rinta-aho.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/17/2002 18:08:34
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Christian Biere wrote:
>
> > > I am having hard time trying to play audio-cds with
> > > XMMS on NetBSD 1.6.
> > > I have tried all the devices cd0a, cd0d, rcd0a and rcd0d in the
> > > XMMS plugin setup.

I use "/dev/cd0d".

> > I assume the problem is caused by the file permissions for the device.
> > Either, you make the device world-readable or readable for group e.g.
> > cdrom and set the setguid-bit for xmms after you've chgrp'd it to group
> > cdrom.

"xmms" plays fine if your user has "operator" group privs. (You only
need write privs to rip, which "xmms" doesn't do.)

> Sorry, I forgot to tell, that cdplay works perfectly.
> So the problem must be somewhere else (= in xmms)..?

In the plugin, you also have to supply a directory that's writable
by your user. Then, the tracks appear to be in that directory, even
though nothing is ever actually written there.

Frederick