Subject: Re: Recommendation on laptops, notebooks or portables for NetBSD.
To: John Fisher <jdf@rse.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/17/2002 18:22:33
Hi !

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, John Fisher wrote:
> a brand spanking new laptop, notebook or portable and is running NetBSD on it.
> How do you like it.  What's the make and model, and the things you got on it?
> Is everything working?  What isn't working?

Yes! I can tell you about my daily use of a ThinkPad A31 (IBM). This is a beast
for not too much money, in my version having 1,6GHz Pentium-IV, 256 MB RAM,
2x40 GB harddisk, CD/RW-DVD drive.

Working: 1.6 out of the box (you have to disable agp in the kernel to run X)
runs almost everything, only Modem is missing. Even sound and IR are supported,
as IR is a standard serial port, irframe can talk to it.

> This would be a big help to me, and probably others looking to buy.

As said, i use it every day runnind KDE (yes, i just have too much power, so i
use KDE :), using netscape7 or konqueror as browser, several xterms, xmms for
background music, ICA client for Windoze-access to the terminal server, samba
to make real use of the terminal server. I just like it. MPlayer performs fine
with DivX on this (TV out not supported), it just works like a charm.

And... IBM knows it quite long: 3 mouse buttons are the right way. The
TrackPoint may be a think which not everybody likes, but you can connect mice,
PS/2 or USB. USB is not tested by me, but the kernel sees 3 buses and hubs.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX