Subject: Should I use bridge for this or just rely on the routing table?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael D. Spence <spence@panix.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2002 20:01:34
History:

I've got a ThinWire network connected to my NetBSD system since  ThinWire
interfaces are increasingly hard to find and don't support Fast Ethernet.
Since I just bought a new box which only has a 10BaseT connecter for 10/100
Ethernet, I decided to start upgrading so I bought an 8-port switch and a
10/100 LinkSys PCI NIC to go into NetBSD.  But some of the devices on the
ThinNet have to stay there so they'll have to stay on the old 10Base2 card.

Here's what I have now:

Cable Modem

    (ex0)
    NetBSD system
      |    +-(ep0)----------ThinWire, local systems in
      |                  assigned subnet 164.179.157.64/26

      +-(wi0)----------Wireless (192.168.1.1/24)

Here's what I will have:

Cable Modem

    (ex0)
    NetBSD system
    | |    +-(ep0)----------ThinWire, systems that have to
    | |                      stay on ThinWire, in
    | |                  assigned subnet 164.179.157.64/26
    | |
    | +-(wi0)----------Wireless (192.168.1.1/16 subnet)

    +--(new Linksys card)--- Switch -- (192.168.2.1/16 subnet)

So the question is, should I use the new bridge driver and
bridge ep0-wi0-and the LinkSys (whatever it is)?

Or should I just fiddle the routing a little more like I did
for wi0 and ep0.

(ipfilter is running, of course, but mostly on ex0 with some
less stringent rules about wi0.)

Michael D. Spence
Mockingbird Data Systems, Inc.