Subject: Re: probing parallel and serial ports
To: David Ferlier <krp@pobox.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/10/2002 00:22:19
On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:05:53AM +0100, David Ferlier wrote:

> I just need to know if there are better ways to probe parallel and serial ports
> than just do reads on /dev/tty0* (i can't do memory reads at 0x2f8 and 0x3f8
> ports right ?)

There is no good way to do so. The program should rely on a config file to
provide this information. Serial and parallel device names vary greatly among
the various hardware platforms NetBSD runs on - though the program will
probably work on all of them, if it's not doing something stupid like assume
there is a single (or one at all) "IO space" and you can access ports in "IO
space at 0x2f8" to reach a standard PC com chip. Or byteorder is always
little endian...

Martin