Subject: Re: IDE RAID
To: None <vodka@intoxicate.us>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/27/2002 10:24:04
On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:30:07PM -0600, vodka@intoxicate.us wrote:
  | > On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 11:33:17AM -0600, vodka@intoxicate.us wrote:
  | >>
  | >> Are there any IDE RAID cards supported under NetBSD 1.6?
  | >
  | > yes, see twe(4)
  |
  | Oh great!  Does anyone know if the newest 3ware are supported?  Like the
  | 8500?  I'm looking for some insight from people who used these 3ware cards
  | on how stable and well they run.

I have a 3Ware 3W-6400, and an Adaptec 2400A, both running on NetBSD
with RAID-1 mirror sets.  Both are fine choices for IDE RAID cards.
I'm 100% not sure if the 3W-8xxx series works with twe(4), but it most
likely will.

The BIOS is much better on the Adaptec.
The management tools (Linux applications in emulation) are
much better on the Adaptec.

The 3Ware has much better sequential throughput.  Both have abysmal
RAID-5 performance, as do 3Ware cards before the 75xx (?), and
Adaptec's other lower-end i960RS based RAID cards such as the 2100S.

I have been considering investigating the 3W-8500, but SATA
(Serial ATA) disks aren't commonly available yet.

Given the relatively low cost of IDE disks, using RAID-1 on these
cards is a fine way to protect your data.

Luke.