Subject: Re: preconfiguring dhclient interfaces
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/25/2002 10:27:26
On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 06:23:11PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
  | >There's an easier way; just list the interfaces you want dhclient to
  | >attempt to use in /etc/dhclient.conf.  For example, on my laptop I have:
  | >
  | > [...]
  |
  | Hmm...  I haven't tried that lately; last time I tried it, it objected
  | if wi0 didn't exist.  But it's certainly worth another try.  (Also note
  | that one of my goals is to ensure that vmnet1 is never tried.)

I'm fairly certain that if dhclient does complain, it's not fatal,
because I rarely have one of cardbus tlp0 cards plugged into my
laptop when dhclient starts, and dhclient works ok.

I also understand the goal to *not* touch an interface, and again, I'm
fairly certain that this method will prevent that, because I got sick
of waiting for strip0 (or something like that) being dhclient-ed on a
GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel, and this method prevented that.

In any case, the best way to see if this method works for you is to
try it ;-)

Luke.