Subject: Re: rdist and ssh
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/24/2002 10:59:53 (Steve Bellovin) writes:
> Is it possible to use rdist over ssh?  I'm trying to keep several
> machines synchronized from one master machine, but I decline to enable
> the rsh port.  The obvious thing to try is

If krb-only rsh is ok, here is what I used to do:

    export KRB5CCNAME=/tmp/krb5cc_0_$$
    kinit -k -t /etc/krb5.keytab host/
    # Only update /etc daily.  Full update every weekend.
    (date; nice -20 time rdist6 -P /usr/bin/rsh -f /etc/Distfile "$@";\
        date) 2>&1 >> /var/log/rdist.log

I found I needed rdist6 (from pkgsrc), and I needed an unencrypted krb
keytab, but for unattended service you really need an unprotected
secret kicking around someplace.

We are from the U.N. and we are here to help you.

spider food:
(NOTE: The email address above is valid.  Edit it at your own peril.)