Subject: Re: HELP: su: setting user context: Invalid argument
To: Charles Blundell <cb@kittenz.org>
From: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/23/2002 08:19:04
A big "Thank you" to both Charles and Wojciech for their responses.

I did the ktrace and found the following message occured while reading
from the NIS group table:

	su: initgroups(root,0): Invalid argument

I had recently added two secondary groups to the NIS table which were
somewhat large entries -- approximately 2 dozen users listed in each.
The NIS table already had already contained several dozen smaller group
entries.  Removing these two large groups from NIS 'fixed' the problem.
After a bit of testing I've determined that I was probably bumping
against a size limitation within v1.5.1 & v1.5.2 in regards to the group
table.  I've created a work around (for the group entries) for the time
being and will schedule these three systems to be upgraded.

I have regained root access to these systems.  Thank you, again, for the
help.
--
  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ http://fox.phoenix.az.us