Subject: Re: seeking quiet, low-cost NetBSD server appliance
To: <>
From: Bryan J. Phillippe \(spamblock\) <bryan-spamtrap5@darkforest.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/22/2002 12:23:55
On the distinguished day of Nov 22, David W. Talmage stated:

> I'm seeking recommendations for a quiet, inexpensive {file, print, dhcp}
> server that I can stick in a closet and forget about.  I'd like it to run
> NetBSD.  I'd like it to have 10/100 Ethernet.  My budget is about $200,
> not including hard drives.
>
> It would be OK if the thing doesn't have any internal disks as long as it
> could read from a spare USB2 hard drive that I have.

Probably not really what you want (obsolete and slow), but a DEC UDB (a.k.a
multia) would work for this.  For example, I have one that I bought new for
$20 and plan to use as a print server.(*) :-)

It is an Alpha 21064 166Mhz platform with optional internal storage.  Mine
came with no disk and I have diskless booted it.

(*) not necessarily as the actual file converter (because of limited CPU),
but as a semi-intelligent ethernet-to-parallel adapter for a parallel-only
printer. :-)

-bp
--
# bryan_at_darkforest_dot_org