Subject: Re: 1.5 to 1.6 upgrade question
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/16/2002 21:32:46
On Saturday, November 16, 2002, at 07:53 PM, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> Is it possible to upgrade my 1.5.3 system to 1.6 without using any kind
> of removable media?  e.g. on a machine with no floppy or CD-ROM drive.
>
> Thanks.
> noah
>
> --
> | Web: http://web.morgul.net/~frodo/
> | PGP Public Key: http://web.morgul.net/~frodo/mail.html
> <mime-attachment>

	I'm going to assume you have a network connection.  If so, you can
pull down any 1.6 binary sets you need.  Install and boot into the 1.6
kernel before you unpack the binary sets.  Make sure you take special
care when unpacking etc.tgz, of course. This is taken from the NetBSD
Guide as an example on how to unpack sets,

http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/ap-inst.html#AEN5934

	See this link on how to approach upgrading etc.

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#etcupdate

	Remember, the docs on www.netbsd.org have a wealth of information.

Ian P. Thomas