Subject: kitchen computer
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/25/2002 11:01:31
I'd like to find an inexpensive, relatively small computer that I can
put in my kitchen or someplace similar (running NetBSD, of course).  In
the past, there were things like the iOpener, but those don't appear to
be made anymore.  And there are hpcmips machines (I have one, and it's
neat), but they require you to boot into WinCE and then manually launch
the bootloader.  I've heard people touting the various ARM processors,
saying they have a potential to produce cheap but quite usable
computers, but the last time I looked for such, I didn't find any.

Ideally, such a computer would have a hard drive, an ethernet port, a
touch screen, and a USB port.  And, of course, the price would be
reasonable -- certainly less than I could buy a bare-bones PC for.

Any thoughts?  Are there really such devices out there?

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                       Mad scientist at large