Subject: Problems with bind
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/23/2002 13:33:56
Hello

I've an 1.6_STABLE machine working as a DNS server, using the bind included
in the system. It is setup to use two forwarders (the ones my ISP provides)
and provides my local network names to local computers.

Although, I'm experiencing a small problem with the resolving in clients.
Sometimes clients are unable to resolve a name; for example, the www browser
stays saying "Resolving name ..." and then shows an error saying that the
server is unknown. But, pressing reload makes it work perfectly. This also
happens while connecting to any other kind of server (FTP) and randomly.
That is, it can be reproduced with nslookup, but it may or may not happen
with a given name or at an specific time.

The machine is also running more services (imap, www, ftp, smtp), and it is
"slow". In fact, it is a Pentium 60 with 32 mb of ram.

Anybody knows what can be happening?

My first guess is that sometimes the machine gets busy with other services
(specially imap) and bind goes to the background. So, to wake it up again,
it needs some time and therefore the client gives an error (because the
delay). Is this possible?

Thank you!

--
Julio Merino (http://jmmv.dyndns.org/) <jmmv@menta.net>