Subject: Re: USB flash devices on 1.6
To: Simon Burge <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/21/2002 13:48:17
In message <>, Simon Burge
>Steve Bellovin wrote:
>> Since I switched to 1.6, I've had a lot of trouble trying to use my
>> M-Systems DiskOnKey, a USB flash device.  Very often -- a significant
>> majority of the time -- when I plug it in, the system partially
>> recognizes it, but doesn't finish:
>> umass0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
>> umass0: M-Systems DiskOnKey, rev 1.00/2.00, addr 2
>> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
>> It doesn't go on to say that it's sd0.  If I pop the device out, the
>> system will crash.
>Around 1.6 I was having similar problems with my Sony camera.  My config
>file had:
>	atapibus* at umass? channel ?
>	scsibus* at umass? channel ?
>Commenting out the "atapibus*" entry "fixed" the problem for me.
>There's PR about it but we never worked out why I was having problems.
>NetBSD -current doesn't have these lines (it's done using scsi and atapi
>attributes inside config(8)), and works fine...

Hmm -- on one machine, doing that did seem to solve the problem.
That's also the one I'm most likely to switch to -current.  On my
laptop, which I generally prefer to keep at a more stable release, it
didn't help...  Mumble.

I have a core dump, if anyone wants to look at it.

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) ("Firewalls" book)