Subject: Re: NetBSD<->wlan<->win95?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/17/2002 18:23:06
On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 04:11:41PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > I tried to get a win95 laptop talking to NetBSD 1.6 using Lucent
>
> I do this with a Win98 system, and IIRC the windows driver needs to be
> set to "base station" connection type, while NetBSD is in adhoc mode.

If I do this, the machines will no longer be able to communicate
directly, but have to go through the base station (I have three
WLAN machines at the moment)?  This would be slower, I guess?

> You can use wiconfig -s to set a station name, which the lucent diagnostic
> sofware will display. Don't forget to use the same network ID (ifconfig nwid)
> on both sides.

I'll try this to see if I can make it work.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:19:54AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> That's not the way to do it.  You could put them both in ad hoc mode,

The windows software has "peer-to-peer" and "base station" modes (or
some such).  Which one is "ad hoc"? :)

> or you can easily turn the NetBSD machine into a quasi-base station
> with the '-q networkname -c 1' options to wiconfig.  The latter starts
> up IBSS mode.

I'll try this, too, but I'd rather keep my NetBSD boxes in "ad hoc"
mode, if possible.

> You need new-enough firmware on the NetBSD system's card.  See
> http://www.live.com/wireless/unix-base-station.html for more
> information.

Thanks, I'll check that.

  -jm