Subject: Re: NetBSD<->wlan<->win95?
To: Jukka Marin <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/17/2002 10:19:54
In message <>, Jukka Marin writes:
>Dear List,
>I tried to get a win95 laptop talking to NetBSD 1.6 using Lucent
>Orinoco WLAN cards.  Neither system can see the other.  I tried
>with and without encryption.  NetBSD was in adhoc mode and win95
>in peer-to-peer mode (I assume this is the correct mode?).
>Two NetBSD systems can talk to each other, but the windoze box
>can't see the network at all.
>Should this work or is it impossible with the current wi driver?

That's not the way to do it.  You could put them both in ad hoc mode,
or you can easily turn the NetBSD machine into a quasi-base station
with the '-q networkname -c 1' options to wiconfig.  The latter starts
up IBSS mode.

You need new-enough firmware on the NetBSD system's card.  See for more

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) ("Firewalls" book)