Subject: Re: samba, netbsd and internal network
To: None <emre@uab.edu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/09/2002 14:13:06
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 emre@uab.edu wrote:

> smbpasswd file.  Or, is there a script that will convert the unix passwd
> to a smbpasswd file?

The hash is different and since can't be decrypted can be reused.

Some admins use plain text for a while as they automatically collect
passwords and generate new password file. Then they silently switch over
to encrypted passwords. Look at docs for "update encrypted".

Also, you can have wrapper for adduser (or whatever) to do both at same
time.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. I taught an introduction to Samba administration workshop last month
in Everett, Washington. Of course, I used NetBSD :)