Subject: Re: samba, netbsd and internal network
To: None <emre@uab.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/09/2002 21:47:14
On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:05:18PM -0500, emre@uab.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have several machines behind a netbsd firewall/nat router.  They're on a
> 192.168.x.x network.  Outside the firewall, I have a samba server, also
> netbsd, which resides on a routable (i.e. not 192.168.x.x) network.  On
> this external network are also a bunch of windows machines.  What I'm
> trying to do is, configure the firewall (or samba) or the windows machines
> behind the firewall, to see the machines outside the firewall (in network
> neighborhood).
> Is this possible?  Or maybe I have to tell the windows machines behind the
> NAT router to search 192.168.x.x and x.x.x.x.  Does anyone know how to do
> this?  Sorry if the description of my situation is a little broad.
> Any clue or help is much appreciated.

This can be done with a NetBSD samba server on the NAT router, talking to both
LANs.  You have to bump the os level, to make sure it will be the local
master browser. You'll also have to configure your samba server as WINS
server, and tell each windows machines to use it.

If you can't have a nmbd on the router, then use a samba server on both
LANs, one as local master browser and the other one as domain master
brower (which will also be local master browser for its lan) and wins
server. You'll have to tell the local master browser the name (or IP)
of the domain master brower.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>