Subject: nVidia, linux driver and UDI (was: Re: The best ever)
To: None <>
From: Tld <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/08/2002 17:37:08
Jim DeLisle wrote:
 >> What about them?  Last time I used either, the drivers were pretty slow,
 >> and there was no 3D acceleration.
 > Wouldn't it be wonderful if every user of any free Unix-like system
 > could simply install their OS on any sort of hardware and have every
 > piece of hardware whir and whiz to it's perfect and harmonious acme?

This discussion reminded me of the UDI, Uniform Driver Interface, which
should solve exactly this kind of problems.

I digged the site ( ) and discoveder that
regardless the project looks quite dead, they finally reached 1.0 version
and released a reference implementation under BSD license (see ) which, if I read it
correctly, is up and working for linux.