Subject: Re: The best ever
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Matt Doughty <mdoughty@japan.ea.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/07/2002 15:38:54
On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 11:28:00PM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 12:51:15PM +0900, Matt Doughty wrote:
>
>  > He isn't talking about the drivers that are provided with XFree. nVidia
>  > provides binary only drivers for linux, soon FreeBSD??, that are fully
>  > accelerated for both 2d and 3d so you can't just copy the drivers over.
>
> Actually, yes you can.  This is the whole point of XFree86's loadable
> module interface.

I was under the impression that you couldn't just copy over nVidia binary linux
driver.  I know it doesn't use the DRI framework, and it uses a binary LibGL
that is provided by nVidia. In addition the is a LKM that needs to be
installed for it to work correctly. I know that in most cases you can just
copy the driver over, but I think the nVidia cards are a special case.  If
there is a way to use those drivers with NetBSD I am very interested to
know where I can get more information.

--Matt