Subject: Re: USB -> PS/2: does it work?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/02/2002 18:42:35
On 2 Oct 2002 03:40:10 -0500, Bryan P wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a notebook with only USB ports and I would like to buy one of those
> USB to dual-PS/2 adapters to use an external keyboard and mouse.  How will
> this setup work in 1.6 (also under X)?  Are the devices treated as USB
> devices, or as standard PS/2, or ... ?

I suspect it depends somewhat on the bios/hardware.  For example,
I have an Epox 8k7a and an MSI 6501 Dual MP. For the 8k7a, I can
plug either a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, or a Mac USB keyboard and
mouse, or I can plug them both in at the same time, and everything
works just fine. Both mice can even fight a fair fight over which
one gets to move the cursor under X (kde3 or twm). This is when
using the default wscons for keyboard and mouse.

The MSI bios detects there is a usb keyboard, but gets pretty hosed
and can't boot when it finds it. It complains about the keyboard
keylock needing to be unlocked. Doesn't even get to the point where
NetBSD can boot.