Subject: Re: USB -> PS/2: does it work?
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Bryan P <u1@terran.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/02/2002 10:25:10
On the distinguished day of Oct 2, David Laight wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 11:34:32AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2002/10/02/0000.html
> >
> > I can't comment about a general adaptor.  However, I have a keyboard
> > that works either as USB or plugs into a USB<->PS/2-keyboard adaptor
> > (which shipped with the keyboard).  This works for me.
>
> That works because the keyboard can tell whether it is being sent PS/2
> data or USB data.  Thus you only need a 'mechanical' adapter.
>
> I very much doubt as to whether anyone actually makes a USB to serial
> converter that would let you plug an old 'non USB aware' PS/2 keyboard
> into a USB socket.

I hope (and suspect) you are wrong.  Refer, for example, to
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/usb-adap.html.  I have heard of these working
for people with $$ operating systems, and want to know if anyone has used
one successfully with NetBSD.

> In any case it would be cheaper to buy a USB keyboard...

I already have two Kinesis classic programmable keyboards, and they are
quite unique in ergonomic design.  I very much hope they will or can be
made to work with this adapter on NetBSD.

-bp
--
# Bryan