Subject: Re: USB -> PS/2: does it work?
To: Bryan P , <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/02/2002 11:34:32
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2002/10/02/0000.html

I can't comment about a general adaptor.  However, I have a keyboard that
works either as USB or plugs into a USB<->PS/2-keyboard adaptor (which
shipped with the keyboard).  This works for me.

Note that under 1.5, I recall that if I had multiple USB devices attached
at boot, only the first would get probed; I'd have to detach and re-attach
the others to get the kernel to find them.  For that reason, I've been
leaving my keyboard on the system's "real" PS/2 connector.  (I should try
changing it over, though, under 1.6 and see if that problem has been
fixed.  I've always been reluctant to hot-plug PS/2 devices, and sometimes
I *do* wish to reconnect a keyboard without powering down.  I don't know
if PS/2 really cares or not.)

The keyboard was made by, of all companies, MicroSoft.  (^&

I think that the keyboard's adaptor had a disclaimer that it wasn't
guaranteed to work with other keyboards.  Still, there's at least one case
where it works.