Subject: Re: in-tree software
To: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/01/2002 09:49:46
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Marton Fabo wrote:

> Well, I'm not sure I wanna fiddle with building the OS on a 486 machine
> with 16 megs of RAM and 200 megs of HDD, especially when binary packages
> are available. That's exactly why I want to strip the unneeded parts off
> even the binary installation. Any futher suggestions?

You are right, you can not build the OS with only 200 MB of disk space. (A
build without kernel nor X needs over 1GB.)

You couldn't easily just remove all OpenSSL, because some of its libraries
are used by other software -- which would need to be rebuilt.

Maybe you could make a list of some software you don't want, look at the
pkgsrc equivalent PLISTs (or the -current syspkg PLISTs as already
suggested, and try to build your own exclude list for when untarring (or
for afterward removing).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/