Subject: Re: 1.6 without X [ II ]
To: Michael Kukat , beto <beto@bonbon.net>
From: Benedikt Meurer <bmeurer@fwdn.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/24/2002 22:05:12
On Tuesday 24 September 2002 21:10, Michael Kukat wrote:
> Don't know if there is a real difference to your tar example, but the
> "pe" means "preserve everything". Does someone know why pax is used
> by sysinst? Is there a difference at all versus using tar?

I guess its because pax is part of the "rescue" system (or however you
call the things in /bin, /sbin), whereas tar isn't. Note:

whereis pax
/bin/pax

whereis tar
/usr/bin/tar

> ...Michael

HTH, Benedikt

--
"Unix was the first OS where you could carry the media and system
documentation around in a briefcase. This was fixed in BSD4.2."