Subject: Re: RAID warning - dangerous?
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/22/2002 14:41:10
Hi,

On 22 Sep 2002 at 15:31, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > On 21 Sep 2002 at 21:06, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > > even with competitive price i wouldn't buy anything from company
> > > that simply lies and cheats customers - which is what they do with
> > > their other "RAID controllers"
> >
> > I see this as marketing, my problem is the lack of support. Their
> > products may be a good "MS-
>
> hey! they says they are HARDWARE RAID. and it isn't.
> so it's a lie. and i do not accept lying - no matter if it's MS-only
> or not.

IIRC some parts are done in hardware, but then again it might be wrong.
From the users point it works like hardware RAID, are you shure they say
anything else?

> > as eg. the Kingston products, but the price is Ok. SCSI to IDE
> > solutions may be Ok too.
>
> could you point me URL for that?

Promise website is not working for you too ;). I complained about that years ago, but as long as
it works with IE, they do not care.

http://www.promise.com/product/subsys_list_eng.asp

and select ultratrack products. If that does not work too, there is a pdf:

http://www.promise.com/marketing/datasheet/file/UltTrkSX_RMDS-v3%20qxd.pdf

But then again, I do not think the price is really good. I do not know about support here.

And as we are at this point, there were massive problems with failing IBM ATA disks, where IBM
said IBMs ATA drives are rated for a maximum runtime of about 330 hours per month (or eleven
hours a day). One person lost both IBM disks of a mirror within one day and lost all his data (I
know RAID is no substitute for backups). This week Seagate, Maxtor and WD reduced the warranty
for their ATA disks from three to one year (german article:
"http://futurezone.orf.at/futurezone.orf?read=detail&id=130320"). I know there are lots of people
running their ATA disks 24x7 without problems (I am one of them), but this sounds not too good to
me.

mike