Subject: Re: 1.6 Partitioning Issue
To: Lars <cryptr@cryptr.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/19/2002 15:00:20
[[ This should be a netbsd-users question, not port-i386 ]]

[ On Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 13:20:28 (+0200), Lars wrote: ]
> Subject: 1.6 Partitioning Issue
>
> This is not actually a problem, but i do wonder
> why i cannot have one partition for / wd0a and one for /root
> in this case being wd0f.
>
> wd0a /
> wd0b swap
> wd0e /var
> wd0f /root
> wd0g /tmp
> wd0h /usr
>
> This gives me a failed installing of etc.tgz since it fails
> to do the hardlinks from /.cshrc to /root/.cshrc.
>
> Just a thought on why this has to be, since if i remove the /root part
> and merge that space with / it works flawless.

You _REALLY_ do want /root to be on the root partition.  It is by
default the normal home directory for the "root" user and even though
when in single user mode the shell doesn't necessarily try to make that
its starting directory, other things you might do while in single user
mode might try to refer to that directory and though it will exist
(because it's a mount point), it will be empty of all files that might
be expected to be there.

Can I ask why you thought you might want ~root aka /root to be a
separate partition?

You'd be better off putting /usr on the root partition too, especially
when you've got separate /var and /tmp partitions.  You might want to
make /home (the location for nomal user's home directories) a separate
partition too though....

--
								Greg A. Woods