Subject: Re: NetBSD, USB and HP - does it work?
To: Teemu Rinta-aho <teemu@rinta-aho.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/16/2002 15:18:54
On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 @ 6:01pm (+0300), Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:

TR> Hi!
TR>
TR> Has anyone succesfully installed an HP DeskJet USB-only printer
TR> to NetBSD using the HP's open-source hpijs driver? (I am
TR> particularly interested in the 656C model)
TR>
TR> http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/sysrequirements.php:
TR> "Many platforms (Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, Yellow Dog, FreeBSD, Debian,
TR> HPUX, AIX, etc) have been confirmed to work, please see those sites for
TR> more information."

well do you have a unit or not to try? if so, fire it up and see what
dmesg(8) has to say.  otherwise the answers to your questions probably lie in
the mailing list archives (website)

-lava

TR> A note found at the officejet driver page worries me.
TR>
TR> http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/suplist.shtml:
TR> "FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD are not yet supported in USB mode, due to
TR> missing functionality in the kernel "ulpt" driver (bidirectional I/O,
TR> device ID retrieval, switching to 7/1/3, and HP channel-change-request)."
TR>
TR> Now I don't know if that statement is valid for NetBSD 1.6
TR> and/or the _Desk_Jet printers...
TR>
TR> Please cc: me as I don't subscribe to this list.
TR>
TR> Thanks,
TR> Teemu

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973