Subject: NetBSD, USB and HP - does it work?
To: None <>
From: Teemu Rinta-aho <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/16/2002 18:01:53

Has anyone succesfully installed an HP DeskJet USB-only printer
to NetBSD using the HP's open-source hpijs driver? (I am
particularly interested in the 656C model)
"Many platforms (Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, Yellow Dog, FreeBSD, Debian,
HPUX, AIX, etc) have been confirmed to work, please see those sites for
more information."

A note found at the officejet driver page worries me.
"FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD are not yet supported in USB mode, due to
missing functionality in the kernel "ulpt" driver (bidirectional I/O,
device ID retrieval, switching to 7/1/3, and HP channel-change-request)."

Now I don't know if that statement is valid for NetBSD 1.6
and/or the _Desk_Jet printers...

Please cc: me as I don't subscribe to this list.